Thursday, July 7, 2011

Review Next-gen iPhone – Will it be a “4S” or a “5″?

A mockup of what the iPhone 5 could look like

I received a tweet this week with a question from a person known on twitter as @weskos:

What are your thoughts on whether the (probable) Fall iPhone will be called 4S or 5? Which is more likely, and why?

You raise a very interesting question. 4S or 5? It’s an inquiry that many people are probably asking, and for good reason. There are strong arguments to back either outcome, with supporting rumors and leaks in favor of each.

Personally, I’ve been struggling to know what to call the as-yet-unreleased next-gen iPhone. Some days I go with 4S, and other days I go with 5. And sometimes I simply can’t decide, which is why I’ve referred to the iPhone 4′s big brother as the “iPhone 4S/5″ on more than one occasion. (I suppose you can add the ambiguous “iPhone 4′s big brother” to that list as well).

Though, after I took some time to think it over, I believe I’ve figured out a way to distinguish the two hypothetical devices. It all depends on how much Apple changes the phone from the fourth generation to the fifth.

If the rumors about a thinner, lighter device sporting a larger screen, faster processors and an upgraded camera are true, you can bet that those features will be packed into a nice iPhone 5 box. Though, if the design and screen size are basically the same, it’s safe to assume we will see an iPhone 4S hitting store shelves.

So, I think the real question is not what the device will be called, but whether Apple is going to put out a phone “revolutionary” enough for a new number, or one just good enough for an S added onto the end.
I’m going to offer up my optimistic answer (guess) – we will see an iPhone 5, not a 4S. There are a few reasons why I have come to this conclusion. One of them is, of course, I want a cool new phone, not a repeat of last year’s model. Though, another contributing factor in my decision-making process is iOS 5. It’s clear that in developing the latest version of iOS, Apple really listened to what their customers wanted – WiFi Sync, Notifications Center, iCloud, etc…

It only takes a moment of browsing the web to come across the droves of mockups, spoofs, and rumors about a new, improved iPhone 5 with a bigger screen, slimmer body and better specs. It’s what the customers want, and it’s what I think they’ll get.

Not to mention, it’ll keep the iPhone competitive. There are tons of new smartphones coming out with great specs. If Apple comes out with a 4S… well, let’s face it, they’ll sell a whole hell of a lot. But not as many as if they come out with an iPhone 5. And a 4S will just mean more catching up to do with the next one, and I think we’re all tired of Apple playing catch up.

Tags: Next-gen iPhone, toshiba satellite l10 akku  , dell latitude e6400 akku

More other business:

No comments:

Post a Comment